Above: Wesley School discos for dollars for the Haiti Schools Challenge.
The Students Rebuild Haiti teams spent 2010 and 2011 raising money to rebuild schools in Haiti, inspired by the overwhelming need of Haiti to rebuild safer and stronger schools, as well as the personal connection Students Rebuild provided through its videoconference and blog series. The dollar-for-dollar match by the Bezos Family Foundation didn't hurt either–$680,000 has been raised through their efforts. Thanks to the support of Students Rebuild participants, our partners at Architecture for Humanity are building five beautiful new schools. Check out some of our Haiti teams' amazing fundraising successes:
- Pegasus School students' business cunning net over $1,000 for Haiti Schools - Huntington Beach, CA. An Entrepreneurship/Earth Day festival pays off for big-dreaming young businessfolk. (Here's the follow-up)
- West Career Technical Academy Techs it Up for Haiti - Las Vegas, NV. This tech-savvy clan folds Haiti into multimedia presentations...and tee shirts!
- Blogging from Cold and Snowy Central Kansas - Barton Co., KS. Five rural schools team up for the IVCs and launch a series of rebuilding fundraisers.
- Hockaday Raises $3,315 - Dallas, TX. Winter formal corsages are exchanged for generous donations.
- Wesley School Holds a Disco Dance-a-thon for Haiti - North Hollywood, CA. A parentel closet-raid and tireless discoeing show these students' drive.
- Westborough's $500 Penny War - Westborough, MA. Creative competition leaves everyone a winner.
- Story Swap: Connecting Students in New Orleans and Port-au-Prince - New Orleans, LA. Students Rebuild facilitates an exchange between two groups of disaster-affected teens.
- Vote for Pedro Rocks for Haiti - Mill Valley, CA. Pedro joins a dozen middle and high school bands at the Youth Rock the Rebuild festival series.